I know some of you may loathe cold calling, but we’ve got stuff to sell!
I polled my team and some of my connections on LinkedIn not too long ago, with the question:
“When cold-calling, and you get the gatekeeper, what do you say to get your client on the phone?”
Here are some of the answers:
- Pretend I’m returning a call
- Just say your name, not the company you’re calling from
- Try to disarm gatekeeper with small talk to get them on your side
- Lots of name dropping
- Swagger by assuming they are expecting your call, i.e.. “It Brian Farrell for Attorney Jones”
- I don’t. I call after 5pm.
- Emailing ahead of calling, so it’s expected
- Having a direction or game plan in the rare chance they actually get on the phone
What do you do? What’s missing? Reply to me and I’ll update the list!